“A comprehensive introduction to awesome QGIS”
2019-08-28, 11:30–13:00, Room 5
What to expect from this workshop?
When it comes to learning new software, the process can be tricky and sometimes even intimidating, especially if you are already accustomed to another similar software. Whether you already have GIS experience or maybe you are a new user, the purpose of this workshop is to introduce you to QGIS, a professional GIS application that is built on top of and proud to be itself Free and Open Source Software.
At the end of this workshop, you should have a good understanding of what QGIS consists of and be able to view, edit, analyze, create and manage GIS data inside QGIS.
The story of this workshop is as follows: You work as a GIS Analyst for one of Romania’s national parks and you will use QGIS to accomplish different daily tasks.
First Hour<hr />
- Speaker presentation and workshop objectives;
- Connect with the participants;
- Prepare the workshop environment - Software and Data;
- Explore QGIS;
Second Hour<hr />
- Explore and normalize data:
- Inspect and query attributes to understand the data;
- Convert data from different formats;
- Re-project data;
- Create a park database:
- Take advantage of the geopackage format
- Perform vector and raster analysis:
A hydroelectric power plant, located near the park, wants to increase the water level by 1.5 m for a lake it has. The park manager wishes to know how the park will be affected.
Third Hour<hr />
- Use the Graphical Modeler to automate your workflow:
Find the most optimal location for a new ranger chalet.
Fourth Hour<hr />
- Explore the cartographic capabilities of QGIS:
The park manager asks you to make a stunning tourist map.
Every workshop hour will be completed with the “QGIS Tip of the Hour”, like:
- Use CTRL + 1, 2, 3 etc. to toggle between QGIS dock panels;
- Quickly search and locate features from the current layer by using the QGIS search bar;
- Embed your graphical model inside a QGIS project;
- Take advantage of map themes in QGIS;